Wednesday, April 4, 2012
RichFaces 4.2.1.CR1 Release Announcement
We’ve released RichFaces 4.2.1.CR1 – the first candidate release for the first 4.2 micro release. This release comes with initial support for rapid component development with the CDK and jRebel, and a new archetype demonstrating (among other things) a mobile RichFaces application,. For the most part however, this release focuses on bug-fixes and stability of the components and framework.
To try out this release, you can download the distribution directly, or for maven users, increment the RichFaces version in your pom.xml to 4.2.1.CR1. For more information on setting up a RichFaces 4 application, refer to our getting started guide.
Since the 4.2.0.Final release, we’ve included a new sample application: the RichFaces kitchensink quickstart (also available as an archetype). This is example application demonstrates key pieces of the Java EE stack, with a JSF/RichFaces frontend. We have it currently deployed to openshift if you want to see it in action. Be sure to check out this example with your mobile phone, to see the kind of mobile application you can build with RichFaces (complete with client side validation, and ajax push!)
Rapid component Development
Another new initiative that made its way into this release is the work we’ve been doing to support rapid component development with the CDK and jRebel. We’ve included the necessary jRebel configuration in our component projects (RF-12090) to enable jRebel to hot reload the classes generated by the CDK. See Lukas’ blog post for details on how you can get this working seamlessly within eclipse with JBoss tools.
Highlighted release notes
- [RF-11936] – rich:contextMenu activation is possible outside of tree nodes
- [RF-11971] – rich:menuItem onclick return value ignored
- [RF-12042] – Metamer: rich:contextMenu doesn’t disappear after clicking out of the menu in IE9 and Google Chrome
- [RF-12043] – rich:contextMenu isn’t rendered correctly in IE 9 compatibility mode
- [RF-11996] – rich:contextMenu on several rows in extendedDataTable
Overall, areas such as event handling, validation, messages, and browser compatibility were addressed:
- Browser compatibility
The RichFaces showcase saw some improvements, including some mobile specific fixes:
- [RF-11872] – Mobile Showcase and a4j:region demo: submit button doesn’t respond on the first click
- [RF-11905] – shutdown of the JBoss AS with showcase deployed throws DB error
- [RF-12048] – Showcase: Change the password for JMS guest connection
- [RF-12051] – Showcase: simplified Push CDI sample which wouldn’t use subtopics
Lastly, a few fixes I couldn’t fit into any of the above categories:
- Miscellaneous fixes
Our crack-QE team has uncovered some regression in the CR1 release with their extensive test suite. We’ll address these issues with the 4.2.1.Final release, but be sure to give the CR1 release a spin to check for any issues we may have overlooked. Of course, concurrent to this micro release, we’re hard at work on some brand new stuff for RichFaces 4.3 (see the relevant planning discussion for details).